Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Communication is key

"Eyemohmissewe."  

Translation: "I'm going to miss you"

Spoken to: My husband, this morning, before heading to my home town (Podunk, South Carolina; population 628), where, due to circumstances outside of my control, I've been spending several days of each week since August 2009.

Reaction from my articulate, city boy, privately-schooled husband: "Huh?"

Beginning of a trend?: Aforementioned sweet, darling husband also corrected me at the gym this morning when I told a fellow member, "My hands are tore up from yesterday's pullups."  And Friday night he outed me to our friends for how red I sound when addressing these (and other) folks by the names I was taught to call them growing up: "Mama," "Grandmama," "Cuddin' Myrtle" and "Uncle Baby."

Verdict: You can take the new bride out of the country (even for a few years, and put her in high heels and business suits in a major city), but you can't take the country out of the new bride -- especially if she's always having to spend half of her time back in the sticks.

Which means our future children will likely greet my husband in the driveway when he gets home from work, hop into his future swank-yet-super-environmentally-friendly-SUV with muddy bare feet, a Dr. Thunder in hand, squealing "haaaaaaaaaaaaay Deaddddddddddy!!!!!"

1 comment:

  1. Hey (or should i say HAAAAYY) Carrie! Genna led me to your blog. First of all congrats on your newlywed bliss! I'm so happy for you and the Mr. I loved this post because I can totaly relate. My Atlanta bred hubby (you may remember Skip) continues to make fun of my country accent, which has come back with a vengeance since we moved back to the sticks. Our little boy is definitely going to sound a little hick (and that's ok :-).

    Cynthia (Mercer) Willcox

    ReplyDelete