Monday, April 5, 2010

In-spiration

In-laws -- a HUGE topic for newlyweds. Before Whit and I got married, I can't tell you how many people asked with a tone of simpering uncertainty, "Do you like your mother-in-law?," hoping for a horror story. The less-than-dramatic truth is that my mother-in-law is to die for, and judging from some delicious MIL stories I get to hear from some of my girlfriends, I know I'm lucky. Bubbles (as I'll call her here) is warm to everyone; she's generous; she's thoughtful, cheerful and cute. (And no, I'm not sucking up - one thing she's not is particularly tech-savvy, so I'm pretty sure she doesn't know this blog exists.) She's fun and creative and always has an interesting story to tell. Even though she and her current husband (Whit's father, like mine, passed away a few years ago) are building a house exactly 1/2 mile away from ours, she'll never be the pop-by, intrusive type. In fact, I'll be the first to admit -- WE followed THEM to Woodward Way.

One of my absolute favorite things about Bubbles -- and it's a trait I hope to emulate as a mother and grandmother -- is her ability to always get in the spirit of things. Since I've been in the family, I can't think of one holiday big or small that has passed by without her doing something special. She even buys her loved ones lottery tickets when there's a Mega Millions drawing!

The best -- her themed toast with sprinkles, on any special occassion! Here is her Halloween pumpkin and bat, and a St. Patrick's Day clover.


This is the Valentine's Day toast in action, complete with matching strawberries, raspberries and place mats, during breakfast at her house.

 
Last Easter she gave Whit (at that time, still a bachelor) these bunnies/flower holders. Adorable! He just couldn't get enough of them. ;)


The first time I met Bubbles was Fourth of July.  I wish I had pictures of the decorations at her lake house!

She's definitely given me license to step it up a notch. So, here's my attempt to follow in her footsteps for Easter 2010. Some may say cheesy; I say festive, fun and INspired.


No comments:

Post a Comment