Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The 500-Year Flood


We move to Woodward Way... I start a blog called Woodward WAY-WARD... and then our street suffers some of the worst damage by what folks in town are now calling "The 500-Year Flood." Now I'm not saying the Great Flood of 2009 and my blog are related in any way. (Nor is the fact that I haven't written in nearly a month related to the Great Flood.) I'm just saying it's an interesting coincidence....

On a serious note, we felt very fortunate to be on higher ground during the flood, which occurred on Sept. 21, 2009. We had a tiny bit of water in our basement, but it was cleaned up very easily. Our hearts go out to our neighbors and all others who were not as fortunate, and especially those who lost a loved one because of the flood.


Yep, those are the tops of stop signs in the back of the picture, and that's a black mailbox on the right.  Earlier that morning I turned around in that driveway... by the end of the day, the water was too high to even get down the street.

For context, here's the same view of the street after the waters receded.




Lesson learned: instead of cursing the steps I climb each day from the carport to the back door, be glad our house is on high ground. 
Lesson #2 learned: never buy in a flood plain!

No comments:

Post a Comment